Happy Cinco de Mayo Y'all!
We're celebrating with the VERY BEST guacamole EVERRRRRR!
Over the years, this recipe has fed hundreds of hungry mouths... And every time, I'm left with happy, tortilla chip dusted smiles and comments along the lines of "this is the BEST guacamole EVER!" Who am I to argue?
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Ready? Okay... The secret to making incredible guacamole is plenty of citrus and LOTS of salt. That's it! This alone will transform any bowl of mashed avocado into the most spectacular guacamole you've ever tasted.
So here you go friends. The very best guacamole ever. Make, eat, enjoy!
P.S. If you need a little more Cinco de Mayo flavor, check out our Drunken Gringo Tortilla Soup. There's tequila. Need I say more?
The Very Best Guacamole Recipe EVER!
Makes about 2 -3 cups
Fresh Pico de Gallo
- 3 tomatoes - de-seeded + chopped
- 1/2 onion - chopped finely
- 1 jalapeno - de-seeded + diced finely
- a few sprigs of fresh cilantro leaves
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 avocados - peeled + de-pitted
- 1/2 cup of pico de gallo
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt (for less salty, use 1/4 tsp salt)
Make the Pico de Gallo
1. In a medium size bowl, mix the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, torn up cilantro leaves, lime juice, and 1/4 tsp of salt.
Note: If you're short on time (or lazy), skip making the pico and instead, pick some up at your favorite market. It's often in the produce section.
Make the Guacamole
1. In a large bowl, mix the avocados, 1/2 cup of the fresh pico de gallo, lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Mash it up good!
2. Put your fresh guacamole in a festive bowl.
3. Put the extra pico de gallo in a festive bowl.
4. Serve with chips or cucumber slices.
5. EAT IT ALL.